University of Zagreb
Faculty of Mining, Geology and Petroleum Engineering
Applications invited for
admission of students to
Doctoral Study in Applied Geosciences, Mining and Petroleum Engineering
in the academic year 2018/19 for obtaining the academic title Doctor of Science
Mining, Petroleum and Geological Engineering
The duration of the doctoral study programme is 6 semesters (180 ECTS credits), and upon the conclusion of the study the candidate is awarded the academic title of the Doctor of Technical or Natural Sciences in the corresponding field and branch. The study consists of lectures during the first semester (30 ECTS credits), and scientific research (150 ECTS credits) during the following semesters. The candidates who have already obtained the academic title Master of Science may directly enrol into the second semester of the doctoral study.
Teaching and research assistants are full-time students who have a maximum of three years to complete the course, while candidates that are not employed at a university or research institute can enrol as part-time students who have a maximum of five years to complete the course.
Admissions criteria and requirements:
- Completion of the appropriate graduate or MSc study;
- Average grade not lower than 3.5 or at least one scientific paper published in an international peer-reviewed journal covered in Web of Science, or two scientific papers in an international peer-reviewed scientific journal not covered in Web of Science;
- Knowledge of one foreign language.
Application must contain:
- Application for the enrolment into doctoral study program;
- Enrolment form for the first semester;
- Research plan for doctoral thesis with related learning outcomes/units of learning outcomes;
- Letters of recommendation by a teacher and a potential mentor;
- Curriculum Vitae;
- List of published papers.
- Graduate study diploma;
- Transcript of graduate and undergraduate study records;
- Proof of foreign language knowledge (B2 or the equivalent);
- Copy of ID or passport;
- A document showing who will bear the cost of study;
- A statement that the available time is sufficient to meet obligations according to the plan of study (for part-time students);
- MSc diploma (necessary for the direct enrolment into the second semester);
- Transcript of MSc records (for the direct enrolment into the second semester).
Originals or notarized photocopies of all necessary documents must be enclosed (copies of the documents issued by the University of Zagreb - Faculty of Mining, Geology and Petroleum Engineering need not be notarized).
A total of 60,000 HRK is paid in 10,000 HRK instalments per semester.
Classes begin in the winter semester of the academic year 2018/19.
Application should be submitted personally or by mail to the following address:
Faculty of Mining, Geology and Petroleum Engineering, Office for Postgraduate Study, International Relations and Projects,
Pierottijeva 6, 10 000 Zagreb, no later than November 2, 2018.
Faculty of Mining, Geology and Petroleum Engineering provides 2 scholarships for covering tuition costs in the amount of 60.000 HRK. Employees of the institutions who are obliged to enroll in doctoral studies as part of their contract of employment can not applied for scholarships because they enroll as full-time students.
The scholarship candidates must meet terms of enrolment and criteria of excellence which will be evaluated according to the following criteria (minimum 675 points):
- Average grade on graduate or MSc study not lower than 3.5 (maximum 300 points or 30%).
The overall average of all passed exams 5.00 gives the maximum points.
- Number of years of study within or after the deadline (maximum 50 points or 5%).
The maximum number of points is obtained by a student who has regularly enrolled in a year of study
- Received Rector's Award (maximum 200 points or 20%)
For received Rector's Award candidate will get 200 points, the paper proposed for this award (in case when the award is not received) gives 50 points.
- Scientific paper published in an international peer-reviewed journal covered in Web of Science (Q1 = 250 points or 25%, Q2 = 200 points, Q3 = 150 points, Q4 = 100 points) or scientific paper in an interational peer-reviewed journal covered in SCOPUS (Q1 = 100 points or 10%, Q2 = 80 points, Q3 = 60 points, Q4 = 40 points).
- Proposal of scientific research (maximum 100 points or 10%)
- Interview/Conversation with the candidate (maximum 100 points or 10%)
The selected candidates will be required to complete postgraduate study according to the Scandinavian model, according to the article 14, paragraph 2 of By-law on doctoral studies at the University of Zagreb.
Applications should be submitted to the above address, with the indication “For Scholarship”.